This second edition of Public Access to the Rhode Island Coast is updated from Lee, V. and P. Pogue. 1993. Public Access to the Rhode Island Coast. Rhode Island Sea Grant, Narragansett, R.I. 75pp.
I would like to thank Adam Zitello who, as a University of Rhode Island (URI) Coastal Fellow, visited the sites and photographed and catalogued them. His work was instrumental in capturing the breadth of information included in this guide. I would also like to thank Kevin Cute, Marine Resources Specialist, R.I. Coastal Resources Management Council, who, with tireless advocacy for public access to the coast, has helped to make this guide as inclusive and accurate as possible.
Special thanks goes to Wendy Andrews-Bolster for her many hours of painstaking work in designing this guide to be both beautiful and usable.
I also gratefully acknowledge the efforts of the following people in providing content and/or reviewing site listings and maps for accuracy.
- Tom Ardito, Narragansett Bay Estuary Program
- Kim Botelho, R.I. Department of Environmental Management
- Theresa Burke
- David Byrnes, R.I. Saltwater Anglers Association
- Carl G. Carvell, Weekapaug Fire District
- Michael Cassidy, Pawtucket Department of Planning and Redevelopment
- Marilyn Cohen, North Kingstown Department of Planning
- Betsy de Leiris, Norman Bird Sanctuary
- James W. Farley, The Mount Hope Trust
- Charlie Festa, University of Rhode Island
- Lynn Furney, City of Cranston
- Arthur Ganz, R.I. Department of Environmental Management
- Dan Geagan, City of Warwick
- Robert Gilstein, Town of Portsmouth
- Geoff Grout, R.I. Economic Development Corporation
- William Haase, Town of Westerly
- Charlotte Johnson, Rose Island Lighthouse
- Richard Kerbel, North Kingstown Harbor Management Commission
- Bob Kilmarx, Barrington Conservation Land Trust
- Mil Kinsella-Sullivan, Common Fence Point Improvement Association
- Karen LaChance, R.I. Economic Development Corporation
- Eugenia Marks, Audubon Society of Rhode Island
- Steve Medeiros, R.I. Saltwater Anglers Association
- Don Minto, Watson Farm
- Bob Moeller, R.I. Saltwater Anglers Association
- Larry Mouradjian, R.I. Division of Parks and Recreation
- Bill Mulholland, Pawtucket Parks and Recreation Department
- Lisa Nolan, Southeast Lighthouse Foundation
- Andrew Nota, Narragansett Parks and Recreation Department
- John O'Brien, R.I. Department of Environmental Management Division of Fish and Wildlife
- Becky Pellerin, Town of North Kingstown
- Michael Rubin, Rhode Island Special Assistant to the Attorney General
- Bob Rutkiewicz, Warren Conservation Commission
- Lee Schisler, Audubon Society of Rhode Island
- Frances Segerson, R.I. Department of Transportation
- Raymond Sousa, Town of Barrington
- Lori Urso, Wood-Pawcatuck Watershed Association
- Lee Whitaker, Town of East Greenwich
- Tim Wolken, Town of South Kingstown
- Sandra Wyatt, Barrington Conservation Land Trust
And thanks to Rhode Island Sea Grant staff for their assistance in preparation of this guide. Maps were adapted from base maps provided for the first edition by the URI Environmental Data Center.
Thanks to Celeste MacPhee who designed the web banners and clickable map on the homepage.
Monica Allard Cox, Editor
Home | Text version